Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Bon Appetit World

I've been looking through quite a few baking cookbooks recently and have come across a few good ones. For Christmas I received Bon Appetit Desserts and read the entire 630 page cookbook twice! I fell in love with the recipes that I saw and the descriptions made me hungry instantly. I have flagged the first 36 recipes that I would like to try over the coming weeks and will write about each one to share with you.

Yesterday, I decided to try a two whisk recipe; each recipe has a rating from 1 whisk- easy to 4 whisk's-  not for the faint of heart. The Carrot Cake with Buttermilk Glaze and Cinnamon-Cream Cheese Frosting is delicious; yes it does have both a glaze and frosting. I never ever ever want to know that calorie content of this wonderful cake. I'm not a huge fan of coconut, but after reading the description I couldn't pass up trying it out.  It was easy to make and the recipe was easy to follow.

My husband and I loved it so much that we gave some away to get it out of the house and keep it off of our waists. I would definitely suggest this recipe if you like carrot cake. See the recipe from Bon Appetit Desserts below.

Cake                                                                        Glaze
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour                        1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking soda                                                    1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tsp ground cinnamon                                           1/2 cup (1 stick)  unsalted butter, diced
1/2 tsp salt                                                               1 tbs light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups sugar                                                      1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3 large eggs                                                             1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups coarsely grated peeled carrots
1 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple in juice
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans


Frosting

1 1/2 8- ounce package Philadelphia- brand cream  cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1-pound box powdered sugar
2 tbs (packed) brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon


Smooches,

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Keli

No comments:

Post a Comment