Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Brimming with Pride

This post has been a long time coming. A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of attending a dinner at the James Beard House. It was my first time attending a James Beard function, but it definitely won't be my last. My dear friend Anthony Dawodu was showing off his culinary skills on behalf of the hotel where he is Executive Chef, Caneel Bay. When he first let me know about this event I couldn't think of anywhere else I would rather be and was excited I was able to experience this accomplishment alongside his family.

The James Beard House is a nondescript building that you could walk by (I did) and not notice it was there. You would be totally unaware of all the goodness going on inside. In order to dine you must first walk through the kitchen and have the opportunity to talk to and see the chefs at work. The atmosphere was lovely as people mingled with their champagne and passed hors d' oeuvres. While they were all delish, my favorite was the Lobster Banana wonton with curry aioli. I'm not sure what made him combine those flavors, but ...just keep on creating! I had to remember I was in public and not sitting on my couch while eating them.

After the reception we made our way upstairs for dinner where each course was paired with wine...heyyyyyy (in my best Chyna voice). Each course out did the previous one and I was so proud that Tony was responsible for each wonderful creation. My friend that came with me said that his Roasted Strip Loin has ruined all other beef for her. She still talks about it and is wondering when is the next time he'll be on the mainland. One of the greatest things about his menu is that I tried items that I would normally pass over when going out to dinner. Not because I don't think they are interesting or because I haven't wanted to try them; it's just so easy to end up with ol' faithful. Quinoa now sits happily in my pantry waiting for me to get the nerve to cook it myself.

So Tony thank you for inviting me. I've always known that you are a wonderful chef and you did not disappoint in showing just how brilliant you are. Keep following your dreams!

Love ya,


Keli

What would you do if you weren't afraid?


No comments:

Post a Comment